Is Anne Tinari in Hybridizers?

Do you have a suggestion? Post it here!
quimoi

12 Apr 2014, 19:52 #1

I've looked and I can't find her for anything.  It wouldn't be the first time I missed something.  She did hybridize some vintage ones that are still desirable.
There is that YouTube interview with her and Frank, but it doesn't mention her hybrids too much.  It is interesting as to the early violet history but those links seem to embed themselves.
I've been referring to the hybridizers section quite a bit.
Diana

16 Apr 2014, 21:48 #2

Diana,
The Tinaris were both hybridizers.  They produced hundreds of violet hybrids and were responsible for introducing the first trailers.  I haven't seen any articles about them and I've been in violets since 1984.
Personally I found that their hybrids had pretty flowers but never got the beautiful foliage of the other hybridizers such as Granger's Gardens.  I don't think many of their hybrids are around now.  They did have a few which were very popular and may still be around in a few collections.
If you do a research on FC2 you will see that they produced 266 hybrids.  Perhaps their most famous was Adeline Krogman and Lillian Jarret.  The Tinaris produced quite a few with supreme foliage.  They were extremely active with AVSA.  Frank and Anne both were president of AVSA a few times and he was active with backing hybridizing.  They won many trophies as Best Commercial, but then it seemed every commercial took his/her time as Best Commercial Table. 
Anne was very active with AVSA.  I just couldn't find more information about them so haven't written them up in the Hybridizers and their Hybrids section.  If you would like to write about them, please do so.  They certainly helped AVSA and encouraged many hybridizers, sharing their knowledge.
Nancy

quimoi

17 Apr 2014, 13:12 #3

Thanks, Nancy. I wish I were knowledgeable enough to do it. Anne wrote a book but if I had it, I don't now. 
Wisteria is one of theirs that is still around and which I've grown. I wish I had gotten it back again. I have Navy Girl which is kind of an odd little thing at this point.

I agree that their hybrids have mostly been surpassed by others but that is true of nearly all of the earlier ones.

Diana
Last edited by quimoi on 17 Apr 2014, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.